April 3, 2009

Good ooold the bargain bin.

Yeah. So. I've begun to think that "bargain bin" is a misnomer. I mean, you wouldn't want to pay ten bucks for a pile of crap, would you? I didn't think so. (Kid in the back? Shut it.)

Three words: Rock 'n' Roll Adventures. (Unless that's four words.... Three and a half?)

Ugh. I don't know. Some people think that just because it's a platformer, they can sell it. Never mind if it has crappy controls, a repulsive protagonist, and no real challenge. If they do put challenge in, it's the frustrating kind that is in no way fun. Rock 'n' Roll Adventures fits all the criteria. Quite an accomplishment. Can I give negative urns?

Now, don't think that just 'cause it's in the bargain bin, it means it's bad. Also found in the bargain bin: Rubik's World. If you're into puzzle games, edutainment, and writing music, it's a fairly good game. (And everything's optional, so if you don't like one of the things I mentioned, you can avoid it.)

I thought it was pretty dumb at first, but then I found out the stuff you build in this one area shows up in other areas, and the music you write in a different area plays when you do various things... it's all so... wonderful. Magical. Okay, not really. But. One of the puzzle games works. The music thing is cool. There's even a thing that steps you through solving a Rubik's Cube, which is a good incentive to buy it if you find it in a bargain bin. Possibly even at full price, when you consider all the other cool stuff. But, unless you're really into puzzle games, it doesn't really satisfy. 3.5 urns out of 5.

And it came to pass that I taught my disciple--I mean, disciples--and lo, they did wax wise in the ways of the bargain bin.a

aGR: They came to the D'rose for advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment